Growing up as a cleft and then becoming a cleft mom I thought I know a lot about it. So, I went and did a little digging and found some interesting things…
Here are 14 facts of cleft you may or may not know.
- Every year in the U.S there are 8,000 babies born with a cleft. That is pretty much 1 birth every hour!
- Cleft is one of the most common birth defect in the United States.
- It is the second common birth defect next to Down syndrome.
- Cleft is more common in males than females.
- Those born with cleft lip and palate are not mentally retarded unless there is another diagnosed genetic disorder.
- African’s has the lowest rate compared to Eastern Asians and Native Americans they have higher percentage of cleft lip and palates.
7. For centuries, the rate for Clefts has not changed.
8. Everyone has a cleft palate while in the belly. It is not till the end of pregnancy where the palate develops fully.
9. There are 26 famous people born with a cleft. Famous people such as Peyton Manning, King Tut and so much more! Click here to see more!!
10. The term “Harelip” was used to describe cleft throughout history and inside of Shakespeare’s plays.
11. In Shakespeare’s 2 plays “King Lear” and “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” included characters with clefts.
12. In 1907 there were characters with cleft included in “A Flea in Her Ear” by Georges Feydeau.
13. The word “Cleft” is based on the “Cleave” which describes a split, partial split or divide.
14. Their kisses are the sweetest!! (My own opinion)
Thanks for reading guys and till next time…
Keep smiling & have a blessed day!!